With the winter ice storm of 2013 behind us, and spring showing early signs of arriving, the debris from the storm may be emerging from under the snow banks. It’s clear residents in Toronto and area (including Etobicoke, Mississauga, Scarborough, Richmond Hill, East York, and Markham) have their work cut out for them.
Here are some handy tips from Purple Dumpster you should keep in mind when looking at your spring clean up needs when you start to clear the debris and yard waste.
1) Create a plan. Prepare for the process by inventorying the right tools. You’ll need garden gloves, a saw, a rake, and other cutting and trimming equipment.
2) Book a dumpster rental so that the waste and debris can be put in one place and hauled away. Call ahead to book your 7 day rental with Purple Dumpster. In the western communities in Toronto call Halton Container.
3) Get help. Moving large branches and felled trees can be heavy and rough going. So be sure to keep your safety in mind. Don’t do too much at once. (Purple Dumpster can assist with man power, call us!)
4) Stay hydrated. It may still be cool outside, but that’s not excuse to not drink fluids as you exert yourself.
5) Keep an eye out for debris that might have fallen on electrical or utility wires. Call the utility company for assistance if that is the case.
5) Bag the small stuff. Once the large debris has been cleared and put into your mini-bin or container for hauling away, neatly clean up the small stuff with a rake and put into bags so it doesn’t blow around.
6) Be opportunistic. Use the opportunity to dump anything in your shed or basement in your dumpster too. If there is extra space in the dumpster use it, especially if you are under the included tonnage allocation.
7) Be Safe. If you are using a chain saw, be sure to read the safety procedures and keep pets and small children away from the work site to maintain safety for all.
8) Contract the big stuff. In Toronto, city crews will not collect tree limbs larger than 15 cm (six inches) so be sure to put these in your rental bin so your contractor (like Purple Dumpster) can haul it away.
If you have any questions, call us at (905) 769-0387 and we’d be happy to advise you on how to proceed safely and successfully.